Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

THE SOUND OF MUSIC • The Muny

7.30.2010

It’s been a Muny kind of week!

Last night, I saw THE SOUND OF MUSIC under the stars at, once again, the Muny.  A musical about the annexation of Austria into Nazi Germany?  Why not?!

Of course it’s about much more than just that.  This Rodgers and Hammerstein musical that opened on Broadway in 1959 focuses on Maria Rainer, a postulant turned governess to the seven children of a military man.  In the process of finding out whether or not she is ready for the monastic life, Maria wins over the kids, reintroduces music back into the family and melts the heart of their father, Baron von Trapp.  Aww…

I’ve only ever seen the film version, so I was anxious to finally see it onstage with my best friend Kay.  I’m glad I read up a little online about the stage production, because there are a few differences between the film and stage versions, so I went in with a pretty open mind with no expectations to see a replica of the movie.  I must admit though, the absence of marionettes made me sad.

Ashley Brown headed the cast as Maria.  Kay and I saw her as Mary Poppins at the Fox last year.  She kicks ass.  There was only one instance of the influx of Muny kids during “Do-Re-Mi”, but it wasn’t too obnoxious.  There were a few more talkers around us this time around, which is always annoying to me.  People, catch up on the soaps later -- there’s a show going on!  There was a couple behind Kay that I swear I thought was busting out a 5 course picnic, but they were older, so they get a pass.  I’m sure at one point they were carving a turkey or something back there though.

Sadly, I can’t include any video from the Muny’s performance because… you know… that would be illegal.  But everyone loves marionettes right?!  So, as a feel good little happy ending, I’ll include a clip of one of my favorite songs from this show, “The Lonely Goatherd”!

If you’re not bobbing your head along with the music midway through this song, there is something wrong with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment